Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Home Organization and the Mithril Party Updates

The World’s Greatest Husband (WGH) and I actually have worked on our goals/new year’s resolutions; specifically, we’re working on the Home Organization, and we’ve been discussing the Mithril Party.


Home Organization Update
We went to Ikea last month and with our tax refund money, we bought a Hemnes secretary with an add-on unit. I hope it will make a good hutch in our kitchen for some desperately needed added storage and organization. We also bought a Brusali TV stand to replace the one in our Master Bedroom that leans like the Tower of Pisa.


This past weekend, we had no RPG nor a visit to anywhere, so we asked Prince Mekhi if he would help us around the house after his Taekwondo classes. We stuffed our garbage and recyclables containers full of detritus from the main floor. The second floor garbage will have to wait until the containers are emptied on Friday.


Together we assembled a bench with storage that we bought from Shopko. I kept smiling as I watched Brian and Mekhi work together, and I even took a few pix. The bit for Brian’s ratcheting screwdriver stuck in the recessed hole for one of the screws, and we all tried to extract it. We couldn’t find Brian’s needle-nose pliers (and I had to bite my tongue from saying to the WGH, “This is why you need to put things away.”), so I dug out my multi-tool. Of course, as I worked on it, I pinched myself and some of my skin came off. Mekhi had a wonderful idea that I ignored to my own peril: loosen the screw enough for the bit to come out of the hole, then remove the bit and tighten the screw again. Brian did as Mekhi advised, and it worked; I apologized to my son for ignoring his suggestion. Women, meh!


Finally the bench was assembled, and Mekhi took the spare shoes that were in a broken box and put them in the storage part of the bench. Then we took him to home #1.


When we came home from some minimal grocery shopping, Brian had the audacity to tell me to put my purse on the storage bench/landing strip rather than the dining room table. I didn’t point out that his bookbag still was on the table when it should be on the bench. Men, meh!


I don’t want to buy any more items for the house until we assemble the ones that we already purchased and put them into use, but Shopko has a sale on Sterilite bins this weekend, and we’re going to need a lot of them.


Mithril Party Update
Sunday at brunch at our usual local diner, the WGH and I discussed our Silver/Mithril Party this summer. He feels that our usual Independence Day barbecue and potluck would be just fine. I want something special to celebrate the occasion. The hard part has been deciding upon that something special within our limited budget, as well as our tastes.


When we married in 1991, I insisted upon a Catholic service because I was Catholic at the time and it was important to me. To this day, I know how much Brian loves me and wanted to marry me because he put up with all the pre-marital rigmarole that the Church requires. I have an entire comedy routine that entails the Marriage Prep and Wedding proper because if I didn’t laugh, I’d have screamed through the process. I don’t want Brian to suffer through this party prep the way he suffered through Marriage Prep.


In this blog post that I posted in June of last year, I state that Brian and I are not traditional people, so the traditional Silver Wedding Anniversary crap is not for us, thus the Mithril idea. Also, I thought of my GodparentsGolden Anniversary party that I attended back in 2012; all they did was a buffet and cake at a local Knights of Columbus. Nothing fancy.


So, to keep within budget, as well as keep it special, I decided, with Brian’s consent, that we are going to have a party at Forester Hall next door to our house, with a pig roast for the food. I will order a special cake to be made, and we will have Jordan almonds because I wanted them for our wedding but couldn’t afford it.


The décor is going to be simple: one balloon each on the front and back doors to let people know they’ve come to the right place. Silver plastic tablecloths and displays around the room of our wedding stuff (that I have in a bin in our basement), pictures of our wedding day and us since then, as well as plenty of games for people to play. I believe the caterer will supply the necessary paper and ware items for eating. I still need to figure out drinks, and I’m hoping the WGH will make a special brew for the party.


Prior to the party, Brian and I need to have another formal portrait done and with Mekhi. We haven’t had one taken in over twenty years. I need to have our wedding video and the pictures from the day scanned, and I also need to find a picture of my mother in her wedding dress because I wore the same dress on my wedding day (that story is another comedy routine).


This all should be relatively painless to plan and implement (touch wood), and hopefully not too expensive (again, touch wood).


ETA: Monday night Brian and I discussed our finances. We recently received our tax returns, and I sold the Ford Taurus that I inherited from my late mother. About half of this money was supposed to go into savings for our party, but because our income has decreased in the last five years (and we weren’t making that much at the onset), I had to use most of the money to catch us up on bills. Brian was angry and hated having to be the bad guy and suggest that maybe we shouldn’t have a big party. I agreed with the caveat that I’ll see what our bills bank account is like on Thursday when we’re paid again. Then we’ll decide.


I really want to figure out how to pay for the party somehow. I know we have some stuff that we can sell (I have some vintage Star Wars bubble gum cards that might bring in some money if I can find them). But as of right now, it looks like we’ll be doing something less expensive for our silver.


Pog ma thoin!
-Lori


Me: “Do me a favor, please?”
WGH: “What?”
Me: “If I start to babble, please tell me I’m babbling.”
WGH: “Okay.”
Me: “How many husbands get permission to tell their wives to STFU?”
WGH: “Not enough.”


No comments:

Post a Comment