Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Another Fine Mother’s Day

Long time readers of my blog will know that I used to hate Mother’s Day (MD) even more than I loathed Christmas. I can give the same reason why I like Christmas and MD now: Brian, the World’s Greatest Husband (WGH).


Knowing that money is perennially tight, I told the WGH that although I wanted “something special” for MD, I wanted something small and inexpensive. In years past, the WGH has bought a range of items from the silly: a Ratbert Doll; to the expensive: a pair of gold hoop earrings containing cats playing with balls, which were diamonds; to the “oh, he knows me so well”: a Gameboy Advance SP handheld with the original Legend of Zelda, which I still play.


The day prior to MD, we had gone to the local farmer’s market to buy marigolds that my late mother loved to plant every year around her home, but unfortunately none were available. We tried a local greenhouse that was so busy, the line to check-out was as long as one of the greenhouses, and only two cashiers; so I decided to go to the local Hy-Vee, which had the flowers and no waiting at the check-out. We visited the cemetery where my parents are buried, and I put the flowers in the vase my brother wisely ordered for their marker.


This year, MD was a tad early on the 8th of May, so the usual round of hideous jewelry ads mercifully was kept to a minimum. I don’t care that Kay Jewelers has a Star Wars line; the WGH knows that I prefer the offerings from ThinkGeek.com. One article in the pre-MD media was from an advice column from a woman who complained that every MD was spent visiting her mother-in-law. I guess the letter writer doesn’t have an amazing MiL like I do.


I can’t think of anywhere in the world I’d rather spend MD than with my in-laws; I’ve called my MiL “Mom” since the day I married the WGH. Mekhi was with his Mom #1/bio-mom, so he wasn’t with us, much to my MiL’s disappointment; she adores Mekhi. Mom did like the bouquet of flowers from Brian and the photo collage with a lovely MiL poem from me (I didn’t write the poem, but it was a nice sentiment). We had a delicious luncheon, too, thanks to Brian’s brother and sister-in-law.


On the way home, Brian asked if I wanted to go to our FLGS for my MD present: a copy of the Puppies booster pack for my Munchkin collection. Yes! The perfect gift: small, inexpensive, and meaningful: Puppies from our puppies! I called to make sure one was available before we drove out of our way, and the friendly staff set one aside for me.


Brian and I planned to mow the lawn that day, but we didn’t because we had to go back to Mom and Dad’s: he left his cell phone. When we finally made it home in the late afternoon, I had to fold three weeks of clean laundry and put it all away. Yes, I had to do housework on MD, but I didn’t care; it was still a nice day.


Because of a change in her work situation, Mekhi is taken to school by Mom #1 on some days, and by us only on the days he stays with us. Later in the week after MD, I found a beautiful card on the dining room table with a small plastic frame that said “Mom” on it from our son. I cried joyful tears at such a perfect gift. Now I have to find a picture of me and Mekhi to put in it.


Pog ma thoin!
-Lori/Mom #2


“Musical taste is like children: nobody thinks theirs is ugly.”John Kovalic

No comments:

Post a Comment