Wednesday, February 10, 2016

RPGs

My now-husband Brian introduced me to roleplaying games (like Dungeons & Dragons – get your mind out of the gutter) before we were married. Over the years, we played a lot of different games: Champions, HeroQuest, Icons, Savage Worlds, etc. Usually he was the gamemaster (GM); however, after I indexed Monte Cook’s Ptolus for D&D 3.5, I wanted to run the campaign as dungeon mistress (DM).


On Independence Day 2010, our gaming group of the usual suspects gathered to create characters, and we played from there. Brian had a difficult time adjusting to being at the foot of the table as a character, rather than as GM. I had difficulty with the mechanics of the game, and I was quite the pushover as a DM: I tended to give the player characters (PCs) too much information or fudged dice rolls in their favor.

Copious preparation helped me improve, and Brian gave me wonderful feedback and learned to enjoy just playing in a game throughout the years. I want to say that in late 2014/early 2015, I told my players that we had about a year left because we had one adventure remaining to complete our campaign. When fall and football games delayed or cancelled D&D events, Brian despaired of ever finishing because he’s been itching to run a game again.


Well, on Saturday, February 6, 2016, we finally finished the last part of the last adventure – saving a dwarven queen who although her original kingdom is gone, would assist another clan of dwarves in restoring their home world. Brian’s character was instrumental in that endeavor, and Brian ended with a good feeling about the game.


Then we started to work on our characters for his new Icons campaign. I will play a magical who gets her power from gods. Even though the character on whom she is based is Latin American, I changed that to make her Senegalese.


The final rounds of quotes from gaming:
DM: “Mature” adult dragon
PCs: “OOOOOHHH!”
DM: “I wish my players were as mature as this dragon.”
Age = 47 “Prime of Life” – JP
Cherry pie appropriate for the player who is a virgin.
“I promised the dice god some weed.” – BAS, who usually has dice of the damned, when he made a good roll.
Paper protectors: “Sheet condoms
Neuschwanstein: “Original White Castle
Signet of Shallamoth: “Universal Subway Token” or the Tijuana Taxi of Praemal
“Snort that magic dust!”
Cleaning the dusty chair (throne).
“I have a creator; his name is Monte.” – DM
“Epic Fantasy is not about average characters.” – BKC
“Technically, I may not have time to run a game until after I retire.” – WS
Book of Inverted Darkness: doesn’t that mean light?” – source multiple
Waterboarding Pay-per-view Channel.” – JP
Trans-urethra ultrasound requirement for the Wanker – LAC
Windows 8 brought Civilization to an end.” – BAS
Temple of Teun, down the street from the Temple of iTunes.
Barrel of Holy Water
“I move with the grace one would associate with the vegetable kingdom.” – JP
“Don’t blame me; blame Monte.” – Me/DM
“Could someone chisel out a brick [of the slightly-scorched, death-by-chocolate birthday cake] for the GM?” – Me/DM, who actually scorched the cake
“Fighters should have an instant training facility called ‘Whack-n-Hut!’” – JP
“Life’s given the Ettins a wedgie.” – BAS
“Crouching Tiger (Gnome); Hidden Ranger (invisible).” – BKC
Pagantology – JP
“The floor you’re not stepping on is not there.” – DM
“Posted on facepalm” (Facebook) – JP
“Sphincter Sanctimonious” – JP
“Cow Con” (Odyssey Con) – JP
“Ptolus is free of cancer.” – LM
“Bag of holding for poop.” – BAS
When the Bard was caught in a reverse gravity spell “Dancing on the ceiling
“My colleagues made buzzword bingo cards for me, and “fuck” is the free word in the center.” – JP
“Sharpie & Highlighter Interior Decorators” – BKC
“I pop as soon as I attack.” (losing invisibility) – JP
BBQ instead of JQ, which is the character’s name. “Taste my tangy sauce.” – LM
“I want government that is small enough to drown in a bathtub full of Flint water.” – JP
“I could fix this with a tiny amount of Platinum – like two tons.” – JP


Pog ma thoin!
-Lori


"I know I've been spending too much time with Photoshop when  I look out the window and I'm impressed by the sharpness and clarity." - Monte Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment