Wednesday, February 17, 2016

World’s Greatest In-Laws

My Best Friend Betsy RN MSN once asked me, “How did you get such a great mother-in-law?” Obviously she got a MiL who would be too cruel for a Grimm brothers step-mother.


I replied that the Gods took a look at what they gave me for a mother (a bully), and said, “Oops! We effed up. Let’s give her a good MiL.”


My husband Brian’s extended family have welcomed me so warmly. I can ask my MiL for advice that I never could ask of my mother when she was alive. His aunt made me a special Christmas necklace when we spent the holiday in California in 1998. His Grandmother (who died the day after Christmas in 2015) let me hug her and hold her for support at the wake of Brian’s Grandfather/her husband. My Father-in-Law loves to tease me about a lot of things, including why I refuse to shop at certain stores. I’ve been calling Brian’s parents Mom and Dad since our wedding day.


So when Dad was diagnosed with colon cancer in December 2013, Brian and I were devastated. Mom has been medically fragile for years, having suffered several mini-strokes. Although Dad was at times given six-months to a year to live, he still is with us thanks to the medical treatments he’s receiving. Unfortunately, these treatments will not cure his cancer, just give him more time to live, and no one knows how long that will be for either of them.


Mom’s birthday is tomorrow, and Brian’s SiL is planning a luncheon get-together on Saturday. Our original plan was to start his new Icons RPG that day, but Brian and I both feel that Mom’s birthday is more important. Only the Gods know how many more birthdays they’ll have, so we want to spend as much time with them as we can.


Besides, who wouldn’t love in-laws with quotes like these:


June (Dad’s birthday):
Me: “I have good news.”
MiL: “You’re pregnant!”
Me: “Uh, no.”
MiL: “Well, I still hope…”
I love that woman so much.


Me: “I think more pictures are taken of Quinton (my Great-nephew) than of Prince George.”
Devan (my niece): “Of course, he’s cuter than Prince George.”
Me: “Absolutely.”


On our most recent visit, Brian turned to me to ask if we had any news. Dad looked at me and asked, “Are you pregnant?”
I love that man so much.


No, I’ve given up hope of becoming pregnant, but I love that my in-laws still have hope. You can understand why I call them the “World’s Greatest In-laws.”


Blessed be,
-Lori


“What am I supposed to do at a time like this?” Brian asked me, regarding his father’s cancer worsening.

No comments:

Post a Comment